MUSIC

Monday, July 29, 2013

Would love to act in a Tamil film: Rekha Rana

Actress Rekha Rana
Actress Rekha Rana

It may have been the most unlikely debut role, but Rekha Rana says she is glad that she could bag the role of a strong female protagonist. “I am happy that I got the offer. The minute I read the script I loved it and knew that this was it, for me,” the Delhi-born actor tells CE, during a press meet for the promotion of the film ‘Tara The Journey of Love and Passion’ held in the city recently.
The film, which was released earlier this month, deals with the ordeal of women in villages. The film is set in a rural backdrop—in the village of Tanda that is 300 kilometres from the teeming metropolis of Mumbai city. With a narrative of the struggles of six women, Tara is the story of the courage of one woman who stands up against the atrocities in her village. An ode to Nirbhaya, the film aims at addressing the topic of sexual violence against women.
The actor began her career as a theatre artiste in theatre-director and actor, the late Dinesh Thakur’s group ‘Ank Theatre Group.’
She admits though the role was a far cry from what today’s quintessential Hindi films demand, she wouldn’t want it any other way. “Yes, I didn’t do a glam doll part, but then the character had so much weight that it outweighed all the missing commercial elements,” she adds.
The actor bagged two awards at film festivals held recently and the film has met with astounding success at 13 international film festivals.
Rana adds that she is grappling with the problem of being typecast, after debuting in such a serious role. “I have been offered a similar role; recently I got an offer to play an inspector in a Kannada flick. I have to carefully choose roles and don’t want to be pigeonholed. I wouldn’t mind doing a romantic role in a purely commercial flick. The role matters, not the genre of the film,” she says, adding that she is willing to work in Kollywood too. “If they give me a good role then why not,” she says, with a smile.
However, her dream role would be playing the female lead opposite Aamir Khan as Anarkali in a Mughal-E-Azam like film.
And, Rana isn’t unaware of the difficulty of carrying a name that is identified with a cult status already. “People have told me to rechristen myself Rehana, as Rekha is already a name to reckon with in the industry. But, then if the need arises, I will go for it,” she says, indicating that as of now, she is happy with the namesake status.

No comments:

Post a Comment