MUSIC

Tuesday, July 30, 2013

July 30, 2013 New video game becomes real-life hellraiser, canceled after raising $123K on Kickstarter

A new tabletop video game is raising hell after raising some $123,000 through crowd-sourced funding service Kickstarter.

Unfortunately, the hell-raising is taking place in real life: the game was suddenly canceled, causing outrage among those who contributed or pledged funds to it.

"The project is over, the game is cancelled," wrote Erik Chevalier, who designed the game "The Doom that Came to Atlantic City," according to a report on ComputerAndVideo Games.com.

Chevalier had started work on the tabletop game in May 2012, and sought to raise $35,000 for it.

In explaining his decision to scrap the game, he said "every possible mistake was made, some due to my inexperience in board game publishing, others due to ego conflicts, legal issues, and technical complications."

"No matter the cause though, these could all have been avoided by someone more experienced and I apparently was not that person," he said.

He said that while the intention was to launch a new board game company with the Kickstarter funds, "rifts have formed and every error compounded the growing frustration, causing only more issues."

"My intentions have always been good and I've struggled with this greatly," he added.

Chevalier claims he wishes to personally pay back the $123,000 to his backers.

But for now, CVG reported the matter has since been referred to the Oregon Department of Justice—which oversees fraud cases.

"I've publicly promised to repay EVERY backer because that is my obligation per the Kickstarter Terms of Service. I am contractually bound to do that much and I absolutely intend to. If I were to immediately pay back as many of you as I could right this moment a sizeable percentage would go unrefunded which would only cause more problems. If I'm dragged into court then everything will vanish into legal fees and I'll never be able to refund anyone else. If a little more patience is dredged up from the depths and I'm given time to work and refill the coffers I can eventually, with some hard work and dedication, refund everyone," he said.

No comments:

Post a Comment