MUSIC

Wednesday, July 31, 2013

The Great Blockbuster Movie Debacle of 2013


The Wolverine (left), Man of Steel (centre) and Pacific Rim
 
 
Things fall apart, the centre cannot hold. Big tentpole films underperforming, box-office down 21.4 per cent from last year, adults deserting cinemas in favour of TV aimed at grown-ups, Steven Spielberg and George Lucas predicting a meltdown are we heading for the Great Blockbuster Debacle of 2013?
Not being a studio executive, I couldn't care less about box-office. But I do care about blockbusters, and this season's have been sub-par. Even those that delivered, like Iron Man 3and Fast & Furious 6, trod old ground. Star Trek Into Darkness, a sequel to a reboot, made me wish I were watching Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan. Man of Steel, another reboot, made me wish I were watching Superman II. Pacific Rim made me wish I were watching Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla, and The Wolverine made me think I was watching an 1980s ninja movie with Michael Dudikoff.
The Lone Ranger hasn't yet opened in my town, so I still have that delight and R.I.P.D. to come, but so far it has all been very déjà vu. I love the blockbuster experience; there's nothing quite like settling down in front of a 70mm screen as part of an excited audience, all of us raring to see something we've never seen before: a T-Rex chasing a jeep, perhaps, or the Titanic sinking in anamorphic widescreen. The trouble is, these days we've already seen it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment